Monday, May 25, 2015

Georgian Names

Georgian names are hard. They're not like names in Western Europe, that are often just different spellings and pronunciations of names we're used to in America. The names here are completely foreign. In fact, it's like when you're learning a new language (because you are), and all the words are so foreign that they're just jumbles of sounds that are very hard to remember.

When I get introduced to new people I hear their name maybe 2 or 3 times, but 30 seconds later – I've totally forgotten it. I thought having been to Georgia before, and having lived in Russia, I would be a little bit ahead of the game, but I was wrong.
my favorite place
There are definitely some Russian names here that I'm familiar with (Misha, Alexander), and there are some Georgian versions of American names (mostly religious names, like Mary--> Meri, George--> Giorgi). But, most names are not familiar to me, and every day I hear several new names. The most common names are VERY common- Nino, Giorgi/Gio/Gia/Goga/Giga/Gigi (still not sure which of those are actual names and which are nicknames of each other...), Daviti/Dato. People in Georgia are creative with naming overall, though- lots of names I've been told are unique or very rare- Mindia, Shalva. I love that Georgians are still named after ancient Queens- Tamar, Ketavan, and kings- Daviti, Vakhtang.

Here are some names I remember from people in my yard: Rusiko, Goga, Zuka, Anni, Malkhaz
Names I remember from people at work: Tamuna, Tamara, Nino, Lika 
Names from Kazbegi: Shalva, Dato, Sopo, Nata, Mito, Tamazi, Mindia, Giorgi, Gia, Zviadi, Bichiko, Nini, Rita, Dodo, Maia, Qeti, etc. 

Also- almost all Georgian names (actually I think all Georgian words in the nominative case) end in a vowel. 

You get the idea. Georgian names are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment